15 July 2006

The Spirit Indomitable

Wednesday at swim lessons was horrible. Rowan's got a new teacher, more's the pity. She's a bippy, used to be teaching Kestrel's class, and was completely useless there too. I can't tell if she's not too bright, or just very very distracted, but in either case, she's a crap swim teacher. And on Wednesday, my little guppy acted up. He was underwater for most of her instructions, did nothing he was told, and spent so much time trying to swim around behind her (underwater) that she gave up and had the lifeguard yell at him. A number of times. I was so mad, I was grinding my teeth. I kept an eye on Rowan, and he seemed utterly unphased, and kept doing his thing. Which was rather upsetting to Bippy n Co. We skipped class on Thursday. In my typical way, I stewed about it. Who the hell were these people? Why yell at a kid in swim class, fercryinoutloud, for swimming???? Oh, because they want him swimming on the surface, because kids who swim below are too hard to control (there's a really incredible metaphor there that I'll probably spin into something cool sometime). I ranted at my mother, at Jason. What were those swim bimbos thinking, screaming at a kid who was demonstrating (albeit, spontaneously) better swimming skills than any other kid in the damn pool??? And quietly, internally, I fretted. What if, in his first brush with the organized educational system of this world, he got his spirit crushed? Was I going to be able to keep him happy in the water anyway? Or had the damage been done? Last night, in the bath, Rowan asked for deep water. Then he asked for his mask. I threaded the strap, helped him put it on, and was rewarded by his grin and the following Declaration of Independence:

"I don't need swim lessons any more, Mama. Because I'm a diver!"
My little guppy then submerged himself full length in the tub, did a decent flutter kick, and stayed under for nearly 15 seconds. I've landed a new scuba teaching gig (more on that in another blog sometime soon), so there will be plenty of time for Rowan to play around in the water with Mama and her dive students. I think we're done with formal swim lessons. And my child? My child has the spirit indomitable.

5 Comments:

At 7/16/2006 12:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you guys for the way you both handled this. And (((hugs))) for the crappy way your spirit had to be tested.

Thinking of you a lot, just checking in...

 
At 7/16/2006 12:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya you did good. I had wondered why you weren't teaching them. I mean just seeing you in water and loving it teaches them so much. Good thing I wasn't there lol pick on my Grandson :( lol

 
At 7/16/2006 07:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For real, why do all these goofs swim on the surface! I totally relate to your little guppy. I hated swimming lessons because they wanted me at the surface, flailing my arms and legs, but all the great stuff is below, even in a pool.

Yes, he has all the makings of a great scuba diver, as he should:-) He is a water sign after all!

Someday you'll need to teach him to tread, but he'll learn that when you need him to and not a moment before. We all know it's more fun UNDER water.

Dana

 
At 7/16/2006 07:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS-- I am very much looking forward to getting into a class with you again! And this time I won't have an anchor with me;-)

Dana

 
At 7/18/2006 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I had been wondering what you were planning to do with the kids while diving. Looks like they'll be TEACHING the younger set meanwhile..
FR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home