29 May 2006

Ahoy!

This week, I'm having an adventure. I've taken a week off from my normal employment, and I'm taking a Basic Keelboat sailing course through OCSC. I'll try to blog about it when I get home at night. Talking to Jason last night, I realized that I'm not nearly as nervous as I normally would be about such an undertaking. I remember not sleeping the night before each and every one of my dive classes, for instance. But last night, I slept like a baby. Well, like a woman with two babies. OK, not at all, but for utterly different reasons (who knew that Kes could pee that much? Or that Rowan could ask, in his angelic little voice, for so many drinks of water?) I think that when you get older, you understand your personal limitations and aptitudes a bit more, and you kinda know what you're in for. You also understand, somewhat cynically, that if you're paying people for a course, they've got a vested interest in getting you through. That last bit comes from many, many scuba classes taught. It's so disorenting looking at a course setup from this side instead of that side. But kind of amusing. I'm spotting euphemisms and backdoors in the course staff's speech from a mile off. And quietly allowing them their space, because I know, oh man, I know what they're thinking. And I'm going to do my darnedest not to be the sort of nightmare I've so often had. Antonia, the manager of the place, had approached me to perhaps teach charter scuba classes for the school. So I might, with whiplash-like speed, get to see the other side of that equation again. I like the idea of earning the cash to continue on with the courses by teaching, myself. There's a symmetry to it that appeals. I just need to find an adequate facility in the area, and so far, my search isn't bearing fruit. I'm also finding it gut-wrenching to think about being away from my boyos all day every day for five straight days. And realized, this morning, that this is what most working parents do. My heart's out to all of you; I have no idea how you stand it. It'll be interesting to see how this affects my nursing relationships; Kes is totally ready to wean, and this might just do it. Rowan... is a different story. But maybe with some encouragement, this could be it?

1 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 06:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know if you have any questions. I picked up a lot of information over the years (all now useless) about sailing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home