28 February 2006

Love Story Too ~*~ A Belated Valentine

I'm mad at you. I work hard to make healthy meals, and you and The Little Boy just snuck out for Jack in the Box. And The Little Boy was excited, because he and his Papa went and got yummy things, and I'm sorry you weren't there Mama, but here I saved you a french fry! I'm frustrated with you. Because the bed is covered with laundry to be folded, because the dishes need to be done, because I haven't figured out dinner for tonight. Because the walls need to be painted from our remodeling, because the carpet is thrashed, because there are bills to be paid. And I'm already tapped out, and wondering where the treadmill stops. All I want is a nap. A nap like The Baby in the other room is having. The Baby, who, when I tiptoe in to watch him sleep, has an angel's face. Yours, to be precise. So I'm thinking of you. We have photos of us at our wedding, us on our honeymoon, hung (crookedly) on our walls. I walk slowly down that hall (which needs to be vacuumed), and I pause to touch them. For an instant, I'm on the beach in Fiji, where you proposed to me. I'm smelling the salt spray around us on the beach in California, where we got married. I'm barefoot and the sun is shining. And we're walking on those beaches, talking about our family, the family we're going to make. I am mad about the french fry. But how can I stay mad? It's from my little I Love You. The walking, laughing, playing, little "I Love You" that we made. Together. This life? This is our love story, the one we make together, the one we're making every single day, in story time and lunch time, sleep time and bath time. In hours and in minutes, in our tasks as they come to us, this is the love we've made. I can't stay mad. Not even for a french fry.

9 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 05:55:00 PM, Blogger Grandma September said...

Laureen, This just captures all of it, thanks for the smile!

 
At 2/28/2006 07:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, call me weird, but I'm smiling with tears in my eyes at the same time. Beautiful. Thankyou. Now to give my Little Boy the attention he's requesting while I sit here reading about yours ;-)

 
At 3/01/2006 09:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you did again. here I sit reading how much you Love my Son and the tears are rolling. Leave it to you to call my Grandsons Yours and Jason (I Love Yous) :) :) I Love It!

 
At 3/01/2006 02:38:00 PM, Blogger Moira said...

beautiful... and I am more than a little jealous.

 
At 3/01/2006 08:48:00 PM, Blogger Laura Smith said...

bwahaaaaahwaaaah....i'm blubbering and wet-eyed, that was just too beautiful laureen. are you published yet???

 
At 3/03/2006 10:35:00 AM, Blogger SFWriter13 said...

This a wonderfully heartfelt and touching piece. I can so relate. Thank you for sharing!

 
At 3/05/2006 09:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. how wonderful and true.
FR

 
At 3/12/2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger sela said...

Oh gosh!! I cry every time I come here! I love what you said and I can imagine how your MIL feels.

 
At 4/07/2006 11:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Laureen, I can't even type of how intensely i feel: the sobbing, the peace, nostalgia, the release, and the immensely satiating soul-filling hopeful sensations you leave inside me... i can't thank you enough. (and I couldn't imagine the bliss your mil must feel to read someone loves her child like that, wow)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home