24 January 2006

What ice?

Through sheerest good luck, I met a woman the other day who does all kinds of incredible travelwriting. And she's got this awesome hook, of riding cool motorcycles through fascinating places. I'm frankly in awe of her. She's got the writing career I'd only halfheartedly dreamed of having, sort of allowed my life to wash me away from, and am in the process of reclaiming. But that's not the point. Since I met her, I've been turning over in my mind, what kinds of cool hooks I have. I admit that when bowled over by someone else's sheer coolness, it's really easy to see your own life as being kinda 2-D and Not All That. I keep reading bits and pieces of her stuff, thinking "wow, motorcycles sure are a neat way to break the ice with folks all over the world. Shiny!" And while I was in the middle of some intensely biological childcare activity, the thought struck me... hey, I have kids! And kids are sure a neat way to break the ice with folks all over the world! Shiny!" Um, hello? Dense much? Maybe, just maybe, there's no freaking ice!!!! Maybe, just maybe, there's a whole world, right here and out there and everyplace in between, and we're all plenty cool here. Sans ice. Maybe the whole world is just that much more accessable than we have been led to believe, and maybe all you have to do to write about it is be in it.

4 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is some ice age, then I enjoy being a thawing mammoth... ;-) Especially with cool writer mammoths - uhm, mommies - like you out there!
FR

 
At 1/24/2006 10:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.indigoleafmagazine.com/about/

hey laureen, i dont know if this is something you might be into or not? i just found it on someone else's blog and thought of you!
i will so miss our laura, i am sad :(

 
At 1/26/2006 08:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure it's nice to read about "shiney" adventures, but those are few and far between. What people really like and crave is what they can identify with, the stuff of everyday life, the things that make us feel like we're not alone, that others feel our struggles and our triumphs.

There ain't no ice out there, girl! You don't have to tour the world on a silly motorcycle. You just gotta be you, and reveal yourself as only you can.

No one is ever in your way accept for you. Ever. We can do anything we put our minds to if we get out of our own damn way and stop imagining icebergs where there aren't any. Stop listening to whoever has "led you to belive." In the end, only you know the truth. Ya know? Dana

 
At 1/27/2006 03:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. It's the tropics. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home