18 November 2005

Universal Preschool -- Over my dead body

Because of the trickles and bits I'm seeing around the media, I've joined a yahoogroup (anyone who knows me, knows I think that yahoogroups are often the best source of info about most parenting concerns) devoted to discussing the juggernaut coming to California, courtesy of that bonehead Rob Reiner, called Universal Preschool. Frankly, I'm terrified. We'd already decided to homeschool our kids, and we're both leaning hard towards an unschooling model. The idea that it would be manadatory to send Rowan off to be indoctrinated by strangers, right now, makes me want to throw up. I've read enough of John Taylor Gatto, (look here too), and of John Holt to realize that the education system that I and everyone I know came out of, failed us in so many profound ways. It's not a system to nurture individual talents, it's a system designed to instill maximum complicity in a docile and unquestioning population. It failed Jason in one direction, it failed me in the other, and we are not going to, in turn, fail our kids, simply because we lack the creativity to figure out another, better way. And now, the attack on our children begins even earlier. Universal Preschool. An abomination.

4 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 09:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is news to me! The paternalistic hubris of the educational machine is mind boggling. Where is the *evidence* of the benefit? Fight on! (Ks)

 
At 11/23/2005 02:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty interesting, considering all the ads running on TV these days about how putting your child in preschool means that they are more likely to graduate from high school. I also saw a report in the newspaper that said the same thing, but added that these same children also exhibited more social distress than non-pre-schoolers.

 
At 11/29/2005 11:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem is most parents are putting only minimal time into their kids! for all the poor kids in crappy crowded, underfunded day care with barely trained "caregivers" a real "preschool" would be an improvement.
The idea of providing a little education and having the parents not have to pay for it, as another option to regular day care is a good one.

 
At 11/29/2005 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Laureen said...

I don't know who the last poster was, but they're misunderstanding. It's *mandatory* preschool, requiring waivers and all kinds of bureaucratic crapola if you don't want the Institution taking your kids off at age 4 to be indoctrinated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home