20 December 2006

Pitter-Pat

...is what I call Rowan every morning when he gets up. Mornings are not, traditionally, a good time for the members of my family. We have a long and glorious tradition of waking poorly and hostile. My own mother bought me an alarm clock when I was in junior high, so she wouldn't have to deal with my attitude until I'd gotten past it. So it is not at all surprising that Rowan is clinging fiercely to morning times as his dedicated Mama-and-me time. He sleeps late (natch). I can hear the bedroom door open, and listen to his little feet (thus, the pitter-pat) as he walks first to the office, then if I'm not there, out into the living room. He waits at the door, frowning and grumpy, for me to notice him. "Pitter-Pat!" and I open my arms. He usually hits them at Mach 3 (who knew a tired crabby kid could move that fast?), and burrows into me, hiding from the world. It's the clearest expression of need I think he still has at this point. My little guy needs his Morning Mama. Some day soon, my Pitter-Pat will wake up and want something else, like a drink of juice or a book or shower or breakfast or something. Something not me. It'll be another milestone, and like most of his milestones these days, it'll be quiet and not entirely obvious. Not night-and-day like the baby milestones were, something that could be noted in the calendar as "on this day he did this amazing thing." No, this will be subtle. I may not immediately even notice the change. But it will have come and gone, and I'll have a memory of a pitter-pat, long past when I'll have the real thing. And with how fast he's growing up and maturing these days, I know it'll be here sooner than I'm ready for it. So I'm listening even more closely for the opening of the door, these days. Listening for Pitter-Pat.

5 Comments:

At 12/20/2006 06:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this and Paper Chain. You are a very gifted writer, AND mother.

 
At 12/22/2006 07:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate doing "me too"s, but I have to say I agree with dana :-)

Thankyou for sharing your insights and experiences with us. You have such a beautiful way of putting everything into words. Meanwhile, I'm lost for words, so I need to stop before they become a babble ;-)

 
At 12/22/2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Moira said...

Miss Fiona does the same thing we manage some cuddle time everymorning I missed it when Brennan stopped... I don't look forward to when Fiona will stop...
I need it as much as they do.
really.

 
At 12/23/2006 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Awww. I still hold memories of early morning cuddles, though now he wants his juice and a good cartoon. I try to coax him into a cuddle now and then, but he'll have nothing of it.

Little ones grow far too fast.

 
At 5/30/2007 09:17:00 PM, Blogger Christie CC said...

Laureen,

I am deeply touched. Your expression has reminded me to slow down. Already Ryan's babyhood is becoming a blurr....so first order tomorrow, morning snuggles, that is if the kids are in the mood :-)

Thanks,

Christie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home