20 November 2006

Just Go Read It

I'm still not blogging much, because I'm NaNo-ing (and it's going beautifully, thanks, although it's a terribly emotional ride; more about that in the future...). But for now, someone on one of my lists sent me this: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_edu/problem.html Go read it. Cause therein lies about 18 of my best tirades. I'm quoting the end; so if you don't want the spoiler, go read it, and if you want to know why you should go read it, here you go:

The point is that thinking, and being able to think, is the only way to make anything BETTER than it is, and sure there's a risk in that but its a hell of a lot better then sitting in one place and trying to hold everything together, particularly when it isn't really quite what you want and you know damned well that its all going to come apart one way or another anyhow. Thinking IS fun, and the only way we have to make anything better, but its ALSO the best way anyone has ever come up with to REDUCE risk. The world wasn't made for people, you know, and we don't understand all about it, and we never will, and there will always be things happening that we didn't expect, and the only way to deal with that is to have people around who know how to think, instead of just doing their particular job the way they were told to do it. Never thought about that, huh? Makes sense though, doesn't it? So what should we do about it? Well, I know what I'm going to do about it. I'm going to spend less time worrying about whether other people think I'm doing my job right, and more time thinking. And I'm going to tell my students that that's what they should be doing too, whether or not they or anybody else think that's what I'm supposed to be telling them. And I'm going to tell my kids to stop trying to get everything right on their worksheets, and instead every once in a while to try something different, to do something differently, just for the hell of it and to see what happens. Yeah, life will be a little more chaotic, and sometimes things will go wrong because of something I did instead of because of things I hadn't yet somehow managed to get under control. And maybe, if it spreads, I might have to work harder to persuade people to do what I want them to do, and walk farther to get a quick lunch. I'm pretty sure though that I'll feel a lot safer, and I'm damned sure life will be a lot more fun. Want to come along?
Yes, yes I do.

1 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 07:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, L. I don't know what spin you put on this, but as I read it, I was getting a message I believe in--figure out what works, what's the essential thing--and preserve THAT, but all the periphery is not the thing to bog down in. Focus on the good stuff, cast aside what drags you down. Anyway, as usual, I'm rooting for you. love, v

 

Post a Comment

<< Home